So, it turns out making the perfect chocolate chip cookie is pretty darn difficult. Yup, that little round beige thing with brown spots? A kitchen nightmare. Take it from a girl who has tried a million different recipes over many years. Non of them delivered 100%, there would always be a certain level of crippling disappointment. There were the ones that didn’t have enough chocolate, ones that spread too much, the ones that stuck to the baking tray, the ones that were too crunchy. I wasted a lot of time money and ingredients trying to achieve cookie paradise! To achieve perfection, I have combined my favourite bits from several recipes to create baking bohemia.
In my opinion, the perfect cookie needs to be crunchy and crumbly on the edges, soft and slightly gooey in the centre with oodles of chocolate. It needs to be chunky too, something I can hold onto, not panic about it breaking in half (I’m looking at you Millie’s cookies….), I don’t do skinny cookies! Of course you can alter certain aspects of this recipe. White or dark chocolate chips would also work superbly as would the addition of nuts (in replacement of the same weight of chocolate). You may wish to add a teaspoon of orange zest, a handful of dried fruit perhaps. You need to remove them from the oven when you think that they are still not quite baked enough, you only want a very light golden brown. Over baking will stop there being a gooey centre which would be a catastrophe, they will firm up as they cool down, trust me! To make a picture perfect bake, once you have scooped your dough onto a baking tray, take a few chocolate chips and lightly press a few over the surface of the cookie and when you remove them from the oven they will look professional and luxurious. Go forth and bake!
Perfect chocolate chip cookies
150g melted unsalted butter
- 150g light brown muscavado sugar
- 75g caster sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large egg plus 1 egg yolk
- 300g plain flour
- 1/2 tsp bicarb of soda
- 350g milk chocolate chips or chopped chocolate
- Preheat your oven to 170 degrees.
- Add your melted butter to the sugars and beat well.
- Add the vanilla plus the egg and yolk, beat well.
- Add your flour to the bowl and stir in until just combined. Tip in your chocolate and mix until evenly combined.
- Using an ice cream scoop, scoop out even measured rounds of dough and space out onto a baking tray.
- As described above, to create perfection, press a few chips onto the surface of each cookie, put the tray into the oven.
- Bake for about 8-9 minutes before checking the colour. You are looking for a light golden brown. If not quite there, keep checking every couple of minutes.
- Allow to cool on the tray for 5 minutes before removing with a spatula onto a wire rack. Best enjoyed whilst still warm… Mmmm….