It is 8.30pm on a Friday night and I am already tucked up in bed as I type. Yes, I know it is just not cool but work this week has been so full on that I am exhausted, pooped, absolutely shattered! It has been super exciting week with Le Creuset, me and my team set up new concessions in London plus had a big meeting with John Lewis in their buying offices (which were so amazing, decorated with their old 1950’s adverts, so so stylish). I have some more store set ups next week and then, the day I have been waiting for, the Le Creuset cookery course! I get paid to spend the day cooking and baking with the most amazing cook wear and I will be posting all about it on here, obvs. As much as I have loved the past few weeks, I have been so busy and away from home so much that I have hardly been able to bake (boo). The longer I go without baking, the longer the list of my ‘must bake’ gets! Sometimes I will be out and get inspired at a local café of new ingredient combination or I will see a great Instagram picture of a new decorating idea and feel a buzz of excitement and the feeling of ‘OMG-must-get-home-right-now-to-bake-before-I-forget-this-life-changing-idea’. Due to this I often end up baking mid-week aswell as a couple of weekend bakes but not so much any more. I guess you might like to know what is next on my must bake list? Well, as much I would like to tell you, I’d rather you come back next week to find out!
This weeks bake has been on my baking hit list for some time. Two of the greatest things in life, cake and cheesecake, bonded together in the harmonious form of a glorious cupcake. They are overflowing with creamy vanilla cream cheese icing, paired with a dense vanilla cake and zingy blackcurrant jam, topped with a crunchy digestive biscuit crumb. Oh my days, this cake has it all! You could swop the blackcurrant jam for another flavour such as raspberry or strawberry. Whatever. Just bake them. Now.
Vanilla and blackcurrant cheesecake cupcakes
- 120g butter, softened
- 220g golden caster sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 175g plain flour
- 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 125ml vanilla yogurt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Jar of blackcurrant jam
- 200g full fat cream cheese
- 100g unsalted butter, softened
- 400g icing sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 5 crushed digestive biscuits
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees and line your cupcake tin with cupcake cases
- Cream the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time and beat until fully combined
- In a separate bowl, measure out the flour, bicarbonate of soda and salt.
- Mix the yogurt and vanilla extract together in a jug.
- Sift in the flour and add the yogurt, fold in until just combined.
- Spoon equal amounts into each cupcake case. Pop in the oven for 15-20 minutes until golden brown and a skewer comes out clean.
- Allow to cool and then use a sharp knife to gouge out a small crater in each cupcake, enough for a teaspoon of jam.
- Spoon jam into the holes. Beat your butter and cream cheese together, add the vanilla then sift in and beat the icing sugar until light and fluffy. Taste the icing as you go as you may prefer less icing sugar. Dollop onto each cake.
- Crush the digestive biscuits into fine crumbs and scatter liberally onto the cupcakes.