Hey y’all! I’m baaaack! I’ve had a bit of a mental couple of weeks so unfortunately, the baking has had to take a back seat. Sad face. For my fourth year, I headed off for the wild green fields of Glastonbury. I spent almost a week washing using baby wipes, going to sleep with the bass vibrating the floor from a giant fire breathing mechanical spider from the field next door and waking up every morning to the sound of someone doing a sound check. It is such a magical place but also incredibly hard work, you need another week off when you get back just to recover! I watched Pharell, Lionel, Years and Years (AMAZING) and Paul Weller to name just a few. There is something there for everybody and would recommend it to almost anyone. I recently decided to move down south as well which coincided gloriously with Glasto as the day I returned from Somerset, I had to start packing my life into boxes! Eugh. So last weekend I trundled my stuff all the way to the bottom of the M40 to start again as a Southerner. The most exciting part of all is that my new pad has a brand spanking new double oven *swoon*.
I wanted the first bake in my new oven to be super amazing, I needed to see what this bad boy could do! So I had it all planned in my mind, I had thought about it all week. I had dreamt about it. It was going to be life changing. I went to the supermarket, bought everything I thought I needed. Got back. Oven warming up and then… I only went and forgot the baking parchment! Absolute disaster. I didn’t have time to go and get any so I had to think on my toes, using what I already had in the cupboards. I came up with these treats instead. I had tin of condensed milk and for a long time I had wanted to create something with the creamy and sickly sweet taste of it. I could easily eat condensed milk straight from the tin with a spoon (and I have done. Many times. In fact, once I cut my tongue when licking the tin lid…). I decided it would work best as an icing so I bring you condensed milk and brown sugar cupcakes!
Condensed milk and brown sugar cupcakes
- 110g unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 225g light brown muscavado sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 150g self-raising flour, sifted
- 125g plain flour, sifted
- 120ml full fat milk, at room temperature
- 1tsp good-quality vanilla extract
- Pinch salt
Condensed milk icing
- 150g unsalted room temperature butter
- 150ml condensed milk
- 300g icing sugar
- Pre heat the oven to 160 degrees. Line a 12 hole cupcake tin with liners.
- Cream together the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy, this will take around 4-5 minutes using an electric stand mixer.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating thoroughly between each addition. Add the vanilla with the last egg.
- Sift together your dry ingrediants in a separate bowl. Adfd to your mix along with the milk and fold in gently until just combined. Separate equally between the cases and pop into the oven for around 12 minutes, they are ready when they are firm to the touch and an inserted skewer comes out clean. Remove from the tray after a few minutes and allow to cool on a cooling rack.
- As they cool, make your condensed milk icing. Add the softened butter and condensed milk to a mixer and mix for 3-4 minutes until smooth, gradually add the sifted icing sugar, you may not need to use all the sugar depending on how sweet you like them.
- Once the cakes are completely cool, dollop on the icing. Grab a fork. Eat.