Sometimes, I have oodles of ideas spinning around in my mind for cakes. And then other days, meh, not so much. I was struggling a bit this week after spending the past couple of weeks lost in a blur of market stall planning. What shall I bake? What price should I charge? Will anyone buy my cakes? What font should I use on my banners? (For new readers, I will be launching my first market stall in Ascot on 18th October!) I think I have a good list of cakes I am going to bake, a nice selection of vegan and gluten free with one or two ‘normal’ cakes, perhaps a couple of cookie options too. Whilst making the shortlist of possible bakes, I revisited some old recipes from this blog and rediscovered these delightful gluten free pistachio and carrot cupcakes! I posted them over a year ago and since then my photography skills have come on in leaps and bounds. Since I was lacking in ideas, I though I would try them again but with way better photographs and wow, they did not disappoint! So much so, they made it onto my final list for market day!
These gluten free babies use ground almonds instead of flour and therefore they are quite dense and super moist. The cinnamon gives a lovely warmth and the pistachios add a much needed texture. You could omit the cinnamon if you wish and substitute with vanilla. Feel free to change the pistachios for walnuts or pecans, they would also work wonders in this bake. I have decorated mine with some chocolate shards, made by melting white chocolate and pouring onto a baking tray lined with baking parchment, Scatter with ground pistachios, some raspberry flakes or whatever you wish. Chill in the fridge and then break up into cake sized shards. Super effective but so simple!
Gluten free carrot and pistachio cupcakes with cinnamon cream cheese icing
- 3 large free range eggs
- 200g light brown muscavado sugar
- 200g ground almonds
- 100g dessicated coconut
- 2 heaped tsp cinnamon
- 150g melted butter
- 2 large grated carrots
- 100g chopped pistachios
Cinnamon cream cheese icing
- 100g unsalted butter
- 200g full fat cream cheese
- 300g icing sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon (or more to taste)
- 100g ground pistachios to decorate (optional)
- Pre heat the oven to 170 degrees and line a 12 hole muffin tin with cases
- Beat eggs, melted butter and sugar together. Add almonds, coconut, cinnamon and stir until combined. Add grated carrots and pistachios, mix again.
- Spoon evenly into each cupcake case then put in the oven for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown and a skewer comes out clean. Remove from the oven and leave to cool.
- Make sure your butter is soft and at room temperature (blast in the oven for 10-15 seconds if not), beat with the cream cheese. Add the cinnamon and gradually add the icing sugar until desired sweetness achieved.
- Spoon icing onto the cooled cupcakes and sprinkle over pistachios. Gobble up all at once.