Sometimes I get a baking itch I just need to scratch! This does happen quite often. The shop just always seems SO far away though. In these situations, I tend to start rummaging around in the cupboards to see what I have left that I can turn into a sweet treat. Occasionally it will be a disaster but most of the time something delicious pops out the oven. But once in a blue moon, an unexpected masterpiece is produced! Something truly life changing. I had some left over dates after Christmas and half a bag of desiccated coconut, then I discovered some pistachios from a wedding cake order the week before. Perfect for popping into a cookie… So now I had decided on what to bake I went to grab everything else I needed but, shock horror, I only had light brown muscavado sugar left. Agh! But I threw caution to the wind and used it anyway. I’m so glad I did! The cookies were soft, chunky, chewy. Totally delicious!
Thanks to the muscavado sugar and dates, these have a lovely toffee like taste and very gooey inside. This contrasts perfectly with the crunch of the pistachios and the coconut gives a whole new level of flavour. I urge you to bake these cookies!! I ensure the perfect size and shape of cookie by using an ice cream scoop. Once I had shaped them all, I pressed a couple of pistachios in the top so they looked really enticing. When you take these cookies out the oven, they will be quite soft in the middle. Don’t fret! They will firm as they cool.
Date, pistachio and coconut cookies
- 150g unsalted butter, melted
- 225g light brown muscavado sugar
- 1 large egg plus one egg yolk
- 300g plain flour
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarb of soda
- 75g pitted chopped dates
- 100g chopped unsalted pistachios
- 75g desiccated coconut
- Pre the oven to 120 degrees. Scatter the coconut on a baking tray.
- Put the coconut in the oven and allow to cook for 4-5 minutes until the edges start to go light brown. Remove from the oven and leave to cool. Turn the oven up to 170 degrees.
- Mix the cooled melted butter with the sugar. Add the egg and yolk and mix.
- Sift your flour in with the bicarb, coconut and salt. Add the dry to the wet along with the pistachios and dates, mix until evenly incorporated. Leave to rest for 20 minutes.
- Using the ice cream scoop, evenly space balls of dough onto a baking tray. Put in the oven and bake for around 12 minutes or until they start going golden brown on the edges.
- Once out the oven, leave to cool on the tray for 5 minutes before transferring onto a wire rack.